Instructions for iPads and iPhones (EPUB Fixed) using iTunes
Here are the instructions on how to sync 'The Handbook of Gemmology' ePUB fixed file format to your iPad or iPhone.
1. Copy the two ePUB Fixed file formats (Volumes One & Two) from the downloads folder onto your computer's hard drive.
2. Make sure you know, and can navigate to, the location of the copied files on your hard drive. The 'Documents' folder on your hard drive is a reasonable place for the files, though you may wish to organize your hard drive some other way.
3. Open iTunes on your computer and make the menu selection: File > Add to Library… This will open a navigation dialog box.
4. Navigate to the copied EPUB files described in Step 1 and click the 'Open' button at the lower right of the navigation dialog box.
5. iTunes should now have the two volumes in its library. In the iTunes window the 'Library' heading on the left should now contain a category called 'Books'. When the 'Books' category is highlighted in that left-hand column the Handbook of Gemmology icons should appear to the right in the main part of the iTunes window. Make sure to select the 'Books' button along the top of the main iTunes window. iTunes is now ready to sync or copy the two volumes onto your iPad.
6. However, next you must make sure your iPad is prepared to handle books when synced with iTunes on your computer. To open and read books on your iPad you must first download the free iBooks app onto your iPad. This is done by opening the 'App Store' app on your iPad, searching for, downloading, and installing the iBooks app. Even though it is a free app you will be asked for your iTunes account password in order to download it.
7. Now you are ready to sync your iPad with your computer which will copy the contents of your computer's iTunes library onto your iPad including the newly added two volumes of the Handbook of Gemmology. If this is the first time you have synchronized your iPad with your computer you should be aware that Apple's default sync setting is to automatically carry out the entire sync as soon as the iPad is plugged into the computer. All contents of your computer's iTunes library will be copied onto your iPad automatically, including all music, movies, TV shows and apps.
8. With the iPad connected to the computer the iTunes window now lists your iPad's name under the 'Devices' section in the left-hand column of the iTunes window. 'Devices' is a category below the 'Library' category referenced a few paragraphs above.
9. Highlight your device (your iPad) and the iTunes window offers all controls and information about your iPad. Along the top of the iTunes window you will see buttons (which really act like tabs) that control the display of the contents and options for your iPad. Explore these areas and make adjustments as you see fit. In the 'Summary' section if you scroll to the bottom you will see the available options to control the sync process. Here you can change the automatic sync-at-plug-in option mentioned earlier. Click the 'Books' button, make sure the Handbook of Gemmology checkbox is checked and click the 'Sync' button at the lower right. This will perform a complete sync including any other setting changes you may have made.
10. Eject your iPad using the 'Eject' icon at the right of your iPad's listing in the 'Devices' column, physically unplug the iPad and launch the new iBooks app on your iPad. The two volumes of the Handbook of Gemmology will appear on the bookshelf display that is the interface for the iBooks app. Be patient as the files are large and sometimes it takes a little while before appearing on the iBooks bookshelf.
Instructions for iPads and iPhones (EPUB Fixed) using iBooks
To upload the two Volumes of 'The Handbook of Gemmology’ onto your iPad or iPhone using iBooks, please follow these instructions.
1. Before you can start, you will need to install iBooks on both your computer and your iPad. This is available through the Apple App Store.
2. Next launch iBooks on your computer and select File>Add to Library, then navigate to your documents folder where you have stored the new ‘Handbook of Gemmology’ files and locate the ones that has the .ePub suffix. You can also identify that file by the fact that the last word of the file name is “Fixed”. Highlight that file and click the Add button at the lower right of the dialog box.
3. Now you can launch iTunes, plug in your iPad, and make sure the sidebar is showing in iTunes. If you are unsure, look at the left side of the iTunes window to see if you have headings such as LIBRARY, STORE, DEVICES, etc.
4. If you don’t see this sidebar go to the ‘View’ menu and select ‘Show Sidebar’. In the sidebar you will see your iPad if it is plugged in. Select your iPad and the top of the main iTunes window will show several tab headings including Summary, Info, Apps, etc. Near the right side of those tabs is the Books tab. Click on it and the books window will appear and your ‘Handbook of Gemmology’ should be visible. Click its check box and then sync your iPad. The two volumes of 'The Handbook of Gemmology’ will now be in your iBooks shelf on your iPad.
Instructions for iPads and iPhones (PDF)
1. Before loading the Handbook of Gemmology pdf files onto your mobile device you will need to install the Adobe Reader for iOS app. Open your 'App Store' app and conduct a search for Adobe Reader. Although it is a free app, you will still need to enter your Apple ID and password to get it.
2. Once you have downloaded the app, plug your device into your computer and launch iTunes. Make sure your sidebar is visible on the left hand side. If it is not, go to the 'View' menu and select 'Show Sidebar'.
3. In the sidebar, select your iPad or iPhone under the 'Devices' category by clicking it once and then select 'Apps' (located near the top of the main iTunes window to the right of the sidebar). A scrollable listing of your existing apps will appear in the main iTunes window. Note that this listing is one of two scrollable lists contained within the main iTunes window, which in itself is also scrollable at the far right edge. Click-drag down the latter (far right) and scroll past 'File Sharing' until another Apps list appears below. The red Adobe Reader icon should be near the top of that list.
4. Click the Adobe Reader icon and the area to the right will appear with the heading Adobe Reader Documents. At the bottom of that area click on the 'Add' button. This will open a navigation window where you will find the HG 2017 iPad Version.pdf files that you had previously copied onto your computer. Click the 'Add' button at the lower right corner. The activity window at the top will show the file being transferred to your device. When it is completed, eject your device using the "eject" icon next to your device's name in the sidebar.
5. On your iPad or iPhone, open the Adobe Reader app. The first time you open this app, Adobe Reader will display the 'Getting Started' document. You may want to read this first to find out more about the app or you may choose to touch the 'Documents' button. This will show you a list of your currently installed pdf documents. Touch the HG 2017 iPad Version.pdf icons and this will launch the pdfs. Please remember that the two volume digital edition contains over 1300 digitized pages, 1428 photographs and 191 diagrams and illustrations. You may experience slight delays in flipping through the pages as the app loads the book into its memory.
If you are unable to successfully load the book onto your device, please do not hesitate to contact us at email@example.com